The Great Train Robbery: BSA106 (Screen Arts 1) Week 2

BSA106: Week 2

We watched some of the early films and animations in class this week, some of them were quite slow and became hard to sit through (especially a six minute bore-fest that showcased stop motion mixed with live action), but I actually enjoyed some of the others, although admittedly not for immediately apparent reasons.


A shot from "The Great Train Robber"



The Great Train Robbery was especially entertaining, and like many of the others, I found that I derived my enjoyment less from the actual story and visuals and rather more from the musical score. While other aspects of these early films don't hold up anymore I think the music is still top notch. The music changes throughout the film and provides different themes depending on what's happening on screen, although admittedly the sound of a piano did get tiring after a while. Honestly I was so impressed by the music that I'm sure they could be re-scored, or re-mixed and still be used in modern movies.

Comments

Popular Posts